The Sachem Central School District is proud to announce this year’s Sachem Athletic Hall of Fame induction class, which will be recognized during a ceremony at Sachem High School North on Saturday, May 7.
There are 24 inductees this year. Inductees will be recognized on the field during halftime of the Sachem North lacrosse game. A smaller induction ceremony will be held for friends and family that morning where plaques will be given to the honorees.
This marks just the second Athletic Hall of Fame induction in Sachem history. The first took place in 2003. The actual Hall of Fame is located in the gymnasium lobby at Sachem North.
Inductees are chosen by a selection committee based on a number of criteria, including athletic success during their careers at Sachem, either as a player, coach or supporter. This year’s list of inductees includes some of the most historic names in our district’s vast sporting history. From Olympic athletes to iconic coaches to some of the best individual and award-winning athletes in Sachem history, this class is legendary.
“I cannot think of a more well-rounded, deserving group of former athletic department stand outs than the group that will assemble this year,” said Sachem Athletic Director Pete Blieberg. “Truly a who’s who in the world of Long Island athletics, Sachem’s 2016 induction class cannot be topped. I am eagerly looking forward to welcoming back this outstanding group of men and women who helped to mold the mystique that is Sachem Athletics.”
DATE: Saturday, May 7
TIME: 1 p.m. lacrosse game start (recognition will take place at halftime)
LOCATION: Fred Fusaro Alumni Stadium, North, 212 Smith Rd., Lake Ronkonkoma
- Bill Batewell, baseball coach
- Sam Cario, multi-sport coach
- Joe Cipp Jr., football player and coach
- Rich Cimini, sportswriter
- Brian Dehler, football player
- James Fabian, three-sport athlete
- Tony Falco, community leader
- Ken Freidheim, gymnastics coach
- Fred Fusaro, football coach
- Laura Gentile, field hockey / media executive
- Mark Graebe, basketball and football player
- Nicole Kaczmarski, basketball player
- Jack Mahoney, wrestling coach
- Shirlee Manoogian, swimmer
- Shawn McNamara, football player
- Rick Mercurio, lacrosse coach
- Maria Michta, Olympic racewalker
- James Nolan, superintendent, coach, supporter
- Jeff Price, swimmer
- Isaac Ramaswamy, wrestler and wrestling coach
- Tom Sabatelle, multi-sport athlete and athletic director
- Frank Schmidt, soccer coach
- Doug Shanahan, lacrosse and football player
- Risa Zander, basketball coach